Friday, February 20, 2009

Pro-Life: Your life or mine?

I have been working hard to be open and striving to see both sides of issues in this blog. But some of you may be wondering if today I just had to take a day off...

Pro-Life movement, I just don't understand you.  Maybe you can enlighten me?

Now the name I love, Pro-Life, (wish my people had copyrighted it first!) I mean honestly who could disagree with that?  I have met very few anti-life people, to be honest most of them seem pretty intent on ending their own life. I think it should be agreed that the rest of us who choose to go on breathing in and out, feeding ourselves and doing the necessary tasks to keep on this planet, are all Pro-Life.  Life is good!

So can we agree to meet there?  Let's all bring our humanity to the table, and respect the lover of life in each other.

Now on the other hand no one is pro-life all the time. I am not pro-life of cancers or when it comes to the AIDS viruses- HIV, or other things I have determined to be "bad." I do not support the life of that virus or that cancer to continue which causes such destruction to human beings.

Clearly there is an assumption here, then when speaking of pro-life we are defining life in a certain way, mainly human life.  

Some of you define life as a cluster of cells.  
I do not.

I define life as living creatures including animals, causing me to be a vegetarian. 
Many of you do not.

I choose to not eat any meat, but do not expect everyone will want to make that same choice, or even that it will be my choice for the rest of my life.  If you are a meat eater maybe you will consider only eating meat that has been responsibly raised?

Maybe this video will help...

To be honest, I couldn't watch the whole thing, just too hard.

And as I sit with this distinction between your pro-life and mine I wonder if both of us are acting out of a care and compassion for those who seem defenseless and in need of an advocate? I can certainly relate to that, it almost seems instinctual.

To be honest, I prefer to advocate on behalf of women in the complicated debate you define as pro-life, but I agree this is complicated and not as straight-forward as some would say.

Maybe in my pro-life fight you will help me advocate against factory farming.  You can have your meat, just have it responsibly.  And I will be happy to join you in advocating against unnecessary abortions and for giving women and men the skills needed to be responsible. 

Just maybe we can drop the term and finally agree your pro-life is not the moral superior to mine.

2 comments:

Heidi R. said...

Well said! Unfortunately, the people who need to hear it the most probably won't. It seems the biggest meat eaters and environmental polluters are the ones who act the most morally superior in their "pro-life" beliefs. I've never understood that...

Allison said...

Thanks Heidi!

I realized upon reflection (lying in bed last night) that defining their pro-life essentially as a cluster of cells, probably wouldn't help the debate much. Sure some pro-lifers see it that way, but I am sure there are degrees in the pro-life movement too.

I probably didn't do much to open the discussion my defining their pro-life so narrowly, i think you are right, those pro-lifer aren't usually open to dialogue, but we shouldn't let the the extremes speak for everyone, just because their shouts are the loudest.